Right now, the crickets are chirping outside my window, a sound we get to enjoy every night for the next few months.
I was thinking today about some of the other sounds of summer, most of them less pleasant than crickets singing. Such as:
- The roar of the local motorway on weekend nights, followed by the artillery of fireworks.
- The hum of pressure washers cleaning houses to be painted, and the rhythmic tapping of hammers on new roofs.
- The swish of sprinklers early in the morning, and the roar of lawnmowers early in the evening.
- The hum of ceiling fans, attic fans and air conditioners.
- The incessant barking of dogs put out in back yards to fend for themselves through the day.
- The tinkle of the ice cream truck making its slow rounds.
Except for the motorway and the dogs, I love summer and all it brings. Especially, right now, the crickets.