The weekend has been seized

I seem to be in a contest with myself lately to see just how much physical labor I can cram into one weekend before my body goes on strike. So far, it’s holding up pretty well, all things considered, even though my activity level is outta sight (at least for me).

Last weekend, it was furniture moving, carpet cleaning, dog walking and putting furniture back on Saturday followed by lawn edging/weeding/mowing on Sunday. This weekend, it was hedge-and-shrub trimming on Friday, lawn mowing yesterday, and today, more walking plus some pretty exciting domestic demolition.

My friend G and I went out this morning for a long walk along the river, and refreshed ourselves midway with lunch at a neat little riverside restaurant that served one of the best chicken sandwiches I’ve had in many a moon. She said it was a four-mile round trip, but our legs were telling us it was rather longer than that by the time we got back! No matter, it was a lovely way to spend a perfect fall day.

When I got home from walking, my infinitely handy neighbor David came over with his cordless impact driver and his massive framing hammer and demolished all the cabinets in my garage. They were a bad DIY job by the previous owner that were hideously ugly and that I never used. I prefer to have open racking so I can see what I have rather than hiding things in overhead cabinets with doors, and I’ve been looking forward to getting rid of these for a long time so that I can put in nice tall Gorilla racks instead. My idea of a perfect garage looks something like this:


Or maybe this:


I just want everything off the floor and facing out so that I can find it. Chaos and clutter make me craaaaazy.

David had everything torn down in less than half an hour, and he kindly left his driver and hammer with me for the afternoon because I wanted to remove all the screws and nails from the surprisingly large pile of dusty wood now sitting in the middle of my garage where my car usually parks.

I spent the next four hours hammering and yanking and twisting (and cursing) and making tidy piles of lumber by size until all the pieces were free of visible metal and lined up along the walls out of the way of the car. The full afternoon sun flooded through the garage to help me make sure I got every last nail and screw off the floor, then I cleaned up everything I could reach and called it a good day’s work. I wish I’d taken some pictures to illustrate, but I got all caught up in the job and just wanted to get it done.

Thanks to the power driver and a sturdy pair of leather gloves, I neither injured nor completely exhausted myself, although I am tired enough now that sleeping for a week is not an unappealing prospect!

I’m going to try to take it maybe a little bit easier with the domestic projects this week and save my strength so I can go big again next weekend.



5 thoughts on “The weekend has been seized

  1. Pingback: Serves me right | Going Forward

  2. Pingback: The garage project | Going Forward

We love comments! :-)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s